Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Chris is at it again. Diet, try 2.

Welcome to my new diet diary, everyone.



This is try to of me seriously dieting. I tried once a few years ago, and had some success before falling into a depression and gaining it all back again.



Let me introduce myself first.

I'm a 36 year old, 6'5"tall Dutch guy, and I weigh in at about 300 lbs right now (almost 140 kg last time I weighed myself). I love eating and good food, spend way too much time at my computer, and I'm completely single.



My eating habits aren't all that bad. I eat healthy portions of everything, and don't overeat all that much. But I have two (connected) issues with eating. The first is that I tend to snack a lot. When I go to the supermarket, nine times out of ten, I'll get a shake or some croissants or other pastry or some sweet coffee drink when I leave. The second is that I have troubles with portion control. It feels very wrong to me to have just one of something, or to take a small anything. So that snack I mentioned getting when leaving the store usually is three or four croissants instead of one. Or it'll be donuts AND a shake. Normally, this isn't much of a problem, since as a big guy, even weight-loss calorie amounts are large enough for me to have more than a single slice of bread for lunch, and when cooking dinner I try to make the plus part of it be the vegetable part. (I love vegetables, and can eat a lot of them.)

These issues mostly raise their head when I'm alone. When I go shopping together with my sister, I don't feel the need to snack at all.



My goal weight is around 200 lbs. This may sound like a lot, but remember that I'm a big guy. I'll never be small, and my goal is a healthy weight and body, not being really skinny. I don't set this goal in stone, since I've never been that light, and when it gets closer to reality I'll probably talk to a dietician or sport doctor about it to get to a more definite number. My longer term goal is to run a marathon. With my sister, if at all possible. (But don't tell her this, she doesn't know how much I enjoy running with her.)



My diet mentality is that I should eat healthily, with an occasional snack. Snacks should be occasional and small, but it shouldn't be a problem if I have a small cookie with my coffee in the morning (one cookie) or an ice cream cone on a hot day. I did the math a few years ago, and I should eat about 2000-2400 calories to lose weight at a healthy speed, so that is my goal. I try to go a little under, to balance out special occasions where I eat more.

I don't do crash diets or other weird diets that I cannot maintain. I believe that if you cannot maintain your diet, you will gain the weight back after you stop your diet, so I just don't do it. I don't see myself dropping all carbs for more than a few months, or never eating sugar again, or virtually everything else that modern diets want you to do. If your dieting idea is backed by science, I will listen to the idea and consider it. If it's not backed by science, I will listen to the idea and point out that, unless properly proven, it's basically a fairy tale diet.



Recent steps I've taken for weight loss are

-the agreement to not go shopping alone - on tuesday I go shopping with my sister, and on friday with my dad. So far, it's been reasonably effective, but I do need to learn to be better at planning - running out of milk on monday will require a trip to the store, so I need to either plan better, have a better backup, or both.

-running in a group. I did this a couple of years a couple of years ago too. It's a start to run group at a local club. It builds up slowly to run matches and have relaxing runs with groups of fun people. It motivated me a lot the last time I was losing weight, and it's motivating me again now.

-Start to my calorie counter again. It worked before, so I'm gonna do it again. I actually started again today. I'll try and post my daily calorie intake here. I count -most- foods. It's just too much of a pain to count all the little things like the tiny amounts of sugar I take in my tea, or the milk I put in my coffee. They aren't overly much, and I try to be on the low side of my calorie goal anyway.



I think that covers everything I wanted to say.

If you have any questions or ideas, please let me know, and I'll try to address them!





from RSSMix.com Mix ID 7884668 http://ift.tt/17SqMlK via How To Lose Weight In A Week Without Exercise

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home